Despite a carpenter’s strike that delayed construction for 45 days, Castro Valley High School opened on September 10, 1956, only six days behind schedule. Of the over 1300 students present at the school’s opening, more than half were incoming Freshmen who had never set foot inside the original Hayward Union. The school contained fixtures such as high-tech green chalkboards as well as modern desks and tables. Additionally, the school’s themes recalled the neoclassical architecture originally present at Hayward Union High: the school’s original mascot, the Spartan, accompanied the school’s original colors of white and green and the original name of the school’s newspaper—the Achaean—matched this theme as well.
Over time, the school has developed its own distinct yet related identity, changing its mascot and newspaper to the Trojan and Olympian respectively, as well as altering its school colors to Green and Yellow. Today, Castro Valley High is one of the largest high schools in the area with around 2800 students, exceeding that of its Hayward predecessor.
The history of CVHS is, in essence, also the history of Hayward High School and the HUHSD; though the students of our modern-day communities are largely bound to their respective towns, our origins will forever be connected.